WELCOME TO SYCAMORE SPEEDWAY’s PURE STOCK RULEBOOK FOR 2019
The Management would like to welcome you and thank you for your interest in racing at Sycamore Speedway. This rulebook is written to give you information about the operation of our events and the rules, both mechanical and procedural. Please read this rulebook carefully. All racing events require that each and every one of us remember our first obligation is to the race fans. The racing officials and management of Sycamore Speedway will resolve any disagreement over technical questions, establish the length, frequency and administration of all racing events and determine all finishing positions. Their decision is final.
The rules and/or regulations set forth herein are designed to provide for orderly conduct of racing to establish minimum acceptable requirements for such events. These rules shall govern the conditions of all events, and by participating in these events, all participants are deemed to have complied with the rules. NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF SAFETY SHALL RESULT FROM PUBLICATIONS OF OR COMPLIANCE WITH THESE RULES AND/OR REGULATIONS. They are intended as a guide for the conduct of the sport and are in no way a guarantee against injury or death to a participant, spectator or official. The race director shall be empowered to permit minor deviation from any of the specifications herein or impose any further restrictions that, in his/her opinion, do not alter the minimum acceptable requirements. NO EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF SAFETY SHALL RESULT FROM SUCH AN ALTERATION OF SPECIFICATION. Any interpretation or deviation of these rules is left to the discretion of the officials. Their decision is final. Other items not covered in this information will be decided by racing officials.
SYCAMORE SPEEDWAY 2019
OFFICIAL STOCK CAR RACING GENERAL RULES
I. These general rules apply to each and every one, car owners, drivers, mechanics, pit crew members, fans and anyone in the pit area, grandstands or on the racetrack. We will not tolerate any fighting and unnecessary recklessness or any type of retaliation. Profanity is prohibited. Consumption of any alcoholic beverages or controlled substances within the pit area and on the racetrack is prohibited. Race cars and personal clothing will not display profane signs, sex signs, and swastika, ethnic or racial slurs. Use of radio signals that interfere with our track is prohibited.
A. To compete at Sycamore Speedway your car must have a complete body and adhere to the rules described for your class. All cars must willingly pass a technical inspection each race date. Any refusal for inspection results in disqualification for that night. No inspection-no race.
B. Age Limit: Must have a valid driver’s license.
C. All competing cars must complete a Sycamore Speedway Membership Card, a W9 and have a number assigned. The same number will be re-assigned to you IF applied for by March 1, 2019.
1. To register for a number or become a racer at Sycamore Speedway, please read below.
a. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or click Contact Us on the website to register a car number. In the subject line write “To Register a Car #”. Please provide in the body of the email your name, town you reside in, phone number, Race Class (i.e. Spectator, Compact, Super Late Model) & preferred number.
b. Once you get confirmation from us that your number is registered complete the membership form & W9. These forms can be found on our website https://sycamorespeedway.com/downloads-for-drivers/
c. Bring completed packet to the pit shack on the first night you are racing.
d. Download and read in its entirety the rulebook for the class(es) you will be racing in. Rulebooks can be found at https://sycamorespeedway.com/#
e. Prep your car according to the rulebook
f. Bring car to track
i. Go thru tech inspection at the scale
ii. Attend driver’s meeting
iv. Let’s Go Racing!
D. During the races, the only people allowed on the racetrack and infield is drivers, disabled cars and racing officials. Everyone must stay behind the fences at all times unless requested by the officials to assist for some special reason.
E. In case of accident, car must be taken into pits or infield (at a safe distance) to be worked on, subject to official’s decision.
Competing cars and drivers found in violation of rules will lose any purse money & points won for that night.
F. Insurance coverage exists beginning 30 minutes prior to scheduled race time and ending 10 minutes after the finish of the last event.
G. WEATHER POLICY: In the chance of sudden showers, the track starter will suspend the races; however, every effort will be made to complete the races after the rain stops. If, in the opinion of Speedway Officials, the bad weather will prevent the return of a safe racing condition in a reasonable amount of time, the remaining races will be cancelled or postponed as follows:
1. The program will be considered complete (no rain checks) if 4 or more events, not including time trials, have been run.
2. If a special event was rained out, the special event may be added to the next weeks race show.
3. In the event of rain, or any circumstances beyond the control of the Speedway Officials, the race may be declared complete or continued at the discretion of the officials in charge.
4. If the program is not considered complete (see no. 1) your ticket stub or pit pass wristband will serve as a rain check for another race held within the next 2 race nights unless otherwise stated by Sycamore Speedway Management
H. FLAG RULES:
1. Green – Track is clear.
2. Red – Indicates that all cars are to stop at once. The race has been halted. Once cars have started to lineup for restart, latecomers will lose their positions. Any car not ready for restart shall go to rear of pack.
3. Yellow – Hold your position. Do not pass. The lead car must slow down to parade lap speed, and ALL cars remain in single file at a constant slow speed all around the track. Failure of the car to trail the car ahead will cause violator to lose position. It is the responsibility of the lead car to slow down to parade lap speed. When there is a yellow on the white flag lap, the race is over! Cars will be scored on the finished lap previous to white flag.
NOTE: YELLOW FLAG LAPS NOT COUNTED*. ANY CAR OR CARS INVOLVED IN A YELLOW FLAG SITUATION SHALL RESTART IN THE REAR. ANY CAR CAUSING TWO YELLOW FLAGS IN ONE RACE MUST LEAVE THE RACETRACK FOR THE REMAINDER OF THAT RACE. If you intentional cause a caution you will be black flagged for that race. Any driver, pit crew member or family disturbing flagman or scorers before conclusion of racing program, will disqualify that car or be fined. *At the discretion of the promoter, yellow flag laps may be counted.
4. Black – The scorer will not count the laps of the black flagged car until he enters the pits and remedies the hazardous reason causing the car to receive the black flag. Failure to see the black flag will not be considered as an excuse.
5. Blue w/Orange Stripe – Starters Signal – Hold your Line.
6. Checkered – Race is over. When lead car gets checkered flag, race is over for all cars as they cross the finish line.
I. The placement of the cars in order of finish as determined by the scorer will be final.
J. The track steward reserves the right to increase or decrease the field of cars at his discretion.
K. Any driver, who in the opinion of the track officials or flagman, shows evidence of exhaustion, drinking, under the influence of controlled substance or other physical incapacity, may be barred from the events in the interest of safety to himself and to others.
L. Any person or persons willfully blocking the track or attempting to obstruct the race program will be requested not to return to the track for future race meets. Remember…when a rule is enforced, one or more people aren’t going to like it.
M. A race will not be stopped because of a car or cars spinning out in the first curve or turn on the first lap unless the situations, determined by the flagman, would warrant it.
N. Intoxicating beverages, including beer, are not permitted in the pit area before or during a race meet. Any car whose crew has been drinking in the pits, will be fined, suspended and/or both.
O. Cars not at the gate at least thirty (30) minutes before race time will be placed in position at the discretion of the steward, if situation so requires it.
P. Abandoned car will be towed away.
Q. When qualifying, an allowance of one spin or wave-off will be permitted per night. When time trials are over for a given class, they are over – no exceptions. You will be allowed one qualifying lap or other means to facilitate positioning as time permits to be determined by the track officials. Packing is required. If you do not pack you do not qualify and therefore will be placed at the rear of the slowest heat and back of feature. NO EXCEPTIONS.
R. Wristbands appropriate for the event are required at all time. No Exceptions
S. Only the tow vehicle will be allowed in the pits. No other car will be permitted.
T. Any driver or crewmember deemed detrimental to the sport of auto racing will be refused entry to the pits. Auto racing is a competitive sport, but like any other event that lives from the support of fans there is, along with competition, a great deal of showmanship required. STARTING ON TIME, running the events in a professional manner, PROPER UNIFORMS, race cars BRIGHTLY PAINTED and the CONDUCT of the competitors as viewed by the fans; these requirements form an important part of the contest rules and must be considered for the growth of auto racing.
U. Abuse of any official and use of improper language at any time will be subject to disciplinary action. The penalty imposed will depend on the severity of the act.
V. If in the combined opinion of the flagman, track officials and timer, a driver did not make the best effort to qualify, he will be positioned in the race lineup as judged appropriate.
W. If for any reason a race stopped (such as red, yellow or checkered flag), only the persons allowed out on the track are officials, safety crew, wrecker and ambulance crew. NO ONE ELSE! Anyone not conforming to this rule is subjecting themselves to a severe fine or expulsion from the grounds subject to discretion of track officials.
X. Any driver, car owner, mechanic or any other person trying to organize others against the track or the officials in any way not limited to but including all forms of media, will be immediately suspended from Sycamore Speedway and barred from further competition.
Y. The following procedures must be observed in the pits:
1. The cars will lineup in the pits for an event according to the positions posted on the pit bulletin board immediately after the cars enter the track. Any car not in line at this time will miss the event.
i. Any car missing an event because of this rule may start the next as an added starter; exception – those cars missing the consolation race cannot automatically start the feature as added starter.
2. If you do not race your heat event, regardless of reason, you will forfeit your starting position for the feature.
3. Added starters in any event will start in the rear of the pack.
4. Added starters MAY RACE upon special permission of the track official.
5. Any car that comes too late to qualify will be added to lineups as officials deem appropriate.
6. To change drivers or cars, the driver going into the car must have qualified the car that night. This change must be reported to Pit Tower before race event. As a driver you can only qualify one car per class and you must race that car all night.
7. If your car breaks mid event, you cannot run someone else’s car with your number.
8. Any fines and/or suspensions will be decreed by the officials, subject to the following: mechanical violations – maximum of $200 fine, safety violations – maximum of $500 fine and/or two weeks suspension. Rain outs or race night cancellations do not count towards penalty.
9. PROTEST RULE: If you feel one of your competitors is cheating, for $200 you can request that the car be inspected. $50 will be retained by the racetrack regardless of the outcome; the remaining $150 will go to the correct party. If you claim a competitor is cheating and you are correct then you get your $150 back, if you are wrong the $150 will go to the competitor you wrongly accused. The $200 you are paying is for a full tech, should this inspection result in an illegal car than the repercussions are the same as if the car was randomly picked for a full tech inspection, i.e. loss of points & money for the night.
10. All cars must be removed from pit area after the conclusion of the evening events. ANY car left on the premises after ten days will be charged “storage”. Pit lights out and pit area emptied and locked thirty minutes after race event.
11. The track will reserve the right to reject any entry.
II. Car & Driver General Rules
A. PAINTING OF CARS
1. Cars may be painted as you choose, but number must be a bright, contrasting color. WHEELS MUST BE SOLID WHITE OR FLOURESCENT COLORED for easy visibility in the event one is thrown. Day-Glo paint is strongly recommended. NO PRIMERED CARS. NO TWO CARS PAINTED IDENTICAL WITHIN THE SAME CLASSES!
2. Car numbers MUST be MINIMUM of 24” SQUARE WITH 4” BRUSH STROKE ON RIGHT AND LEFT DOORS. NUMBERS MUST BE PAINTED ON CONTRASTING COLOR TO THE CAR ALSO 24” NUMBER ON ROOF OF CAR.
3. POOR NUMBER = NO SCORE = NO PAYOUT
B. WEARING APPAREL
1. We recommend all pit participants wear white pants or coveralls for visibility reasons.
2. We require all drivers, for Dirt Late Model (fka 4-Bar), SLM, Street Stock (fka. Late Model), Pure Stock, & any visiting class to wear a flame resistant driving suit, a two piece suit is ok. Closed toed shoes & gloves. A Snell approved helmet with face shield, no Motocross helmets or snowmobile helmets allowed. For Spectator, Powder Puff, Socker Stocker & Compact Combat at minimum, long sleeves, long pants, gloves and closed toed shoes and a Snell approved helmet with face shield are REQUIRED.
C. ROLL CAGES
1. Dirt Late Models (f.k.a. 4-Bar), Super Late Models, Street Stock (f.k.a. Late Models), and Pure Stocks, all must be equipped with welded cage types. ROLL CAGES WELDED TO THE FRAME OF THE CAR. Bars must pass inspection of the tech steward. Suggested specs for roll bars are: wall thickness; .095. Outside diameter; 1-1/2”. No pipe joints; bars must be welded and angle joints reinforced. No galvanized pipe. DOM type tubing is recommended.
2. Friday night Compacts: This is MANDATORY to run at minimum a roll cage. See Compact Rules for specifics.
D. SAFETY BELTS AND HELMETS
1. Passenger type seat belts required at minimum for all Spectator, Compact, Socker Stocker and Powder Puff cars.
2. All Dirt Late Models (a.k.a. 4-bar), Super Late Model, Street Stock (a.k.a. Late Model), and Pure Stock cars must be equipped with a 5 point racing harness. MANDATORY. Certification must be visible and show 3 yrs or newer. They need to be securely fastened to the frame of the car. Belts must have quick release metal buckle. Shoulder harness is mandatory. Shoulder harness must be quick release type.
3. Approved Snell helmets with face shields must be worn for all classes. This is strongly enforced. No Motocross or Motorcycle or snowmobile helmets.
E. SAFETY RULES – the following safety rules will be strongly enforced:
1. NO BATTERIES, FUEL TANK, FUEL LINES, or any object that may create a hazard in the driver compartment. Batteries will be permitted if securely fastened in a marine type Battery box with cover. All fuel lines that run through the driver compartment must be covered.
2. Cars MUST HAVE FULL STEEL FIRE WALLS between driver and engine compartments and driver and fuel tanks.
3. Seats must be securely fastened to frame of car.
4. All cars must be self-starting. Cars must leave pits under their own power.
5. Fire extinguishers are mandatory for all cars and must be securely fastened. Quick release type only and be in reach of driver.
6. Dirt screens are subject to inspection.
7. All gas must be in proper marked RED CANS in the pit area.
8. Flame resistant driving suits and a window restraining net are strongly recommended.
9. Fuel cell with roll over valve strongly recommended.
10. Over Flow Tubes must be pointed down.
F. Must run trophy dash to receive fast time point.
G. All exhaust must exit at the side of the car – left side recommended.
H. Under yellow & red flag conditions, only track officials can be on the racetrack!
I. No mirrors allowed on any racecar for any class. NO EXCEPTIONS.
J. For All Classes running at Sycamore Speedway, all drivers must use a race receiver. Fusion 1600 is a very common type and is most common at a lot of other facilities too. Our Channel is 454.000. PLEASE NOTE: you cannot use a transmittable radio, it must be a 1 way receiver only.
The general rules for the Sycamore Speedway apply to the Pure Stock Class. Please read above.
A. COMPETING MODELS
1. Any stock American made 1948 and newer automobile or station wagon with a minimum 107-inch wheelbase is allowed. Fuel Injection cars allowed but must be stock from factory. Models must be approved by Speedway. Please email email@example.com to get approval of fuel injection cars.
2. NO TRUCKS, SUV’S, CONVERTIBLES, AND T-TOPS.
B. GENERAL RULES MORE SPECIFIC TO PURE STOCK THAN WHAT IS LISTED ABOVE
1. This class will be running on Saturday only, you may run for points in this class as well as any Friday night class, i.e. Spectator, Powder Puff, Socker Stocker and/or Compact but you may not use the same car.
C. WEIGHT RULE
1. Car must weigh a minimum of 3500lbs. with driver after the race determined by Sycamore Speedway scale.
2. Fuel injected cars must weigh a minimum of 3700lbs.
3. Weights up to 50 lbs must be securely fastened by 2 ½ inch, minimum grade 5 bolts with a minimum of 2 weight clamps. Threaded rods will not be permitted. All weights must be painted white and clearly labeled with the car number on it.
4. Any weight(s) must be securely attached to the frame below the body decking.
5. Any car that loses any weight/ballast during an event may be subject to a penalty. If you lose your weight and it’s not marked with your number, you do not get it back.
6. Weights attached to the rear bumper and/or outside the frame will not be permitted.
7. Pellet-type and/or liquid-type weight/ballast will not be permitted.
8. Driver operated weight adjustment, ‘weight jacking’ devices will not be permitted.
1. STRICTLY ENFORCED: All glass including mirrors (side & rearview), head and tail lights, must be removed before arriving at the speedway. Cars must be swept clean. No junk tires, wheels, metal parts, etc. allowed in car. Any sharp protruding objects on cars must be smashed down or cut off.
2. ALL DOORS must be welded shut. No Riveting.
3. Hood and deck lids must be operable until after inspection. Hood and deck lid must open for inspection. Hood & Trunk Pins mandatory.
4. Insulation under hood must be removed.
5. Seats: Racing seat with 5 point harness required. Belts must be 3 years or newer.
6. No special bumpers, reinforcements or fabrications other than stock replacements will be allowed. No aftermarket nose and tail allowed. No chopping the ends of the bumpers off.
7. Cars must be strictly STOCK. No chopping, shortening or cutting allowed
i. The stock steel floor pan and trunk pan must remain and be unaltered. Rear wheel wells must remain.
1. May be repaired with sheet steel in stock configuration.
1. Front Firewall must be sealed. No Holes. Must be in stock location.
2. Rear Seat must be removed and tinned to create a rear firewall
iii. No Holes in the Hood or Roof. NO EXCEPTIONS
iv. No skinning of body components, inner panels, or fenders with the exception for the clearance of the installation of inner roll cage.
v. Dash may be removed when a 4 point cage with dash bar is installed at oem dash height
8. 1” x 1” tapered end rub rail permissible.
9. No rear spoilers allowed.
10. All trunk lids must taper down towards the rear in stock fashion. No raised flat deck lids.
1. Windshields or windscreen required.
i. At minimum 3 bars must be installed in front of driver
ii. Screen must be .090 inch
F. ENGINE – No V6’s
1. Any stock cast iron American made V8 engine in stock location
i. Original rubber mounts. Solid mounts permissible but must be in stock location
2. No aftermarket racing parts.
3. No aftermarket heads or made for racing heads.
4. No angle plug heads.
5. Stock cast iron intake and exhaust manifolds ONLY
i. Exhaust manifolds: must exit under the car and pipe must not be larger than 2.5” – No H Pipes or No Ram Horns.
6. No 400 blocks or aftermarket blocks
7. Cranking compression allowed at 180lbs. Motor must rotate 5 complete times during inspection.
8. Valve covers may be pulled during inspection.
9. Hydraulic Camshaft ONLY. No solid. No rollers.
i. All Cars will be vacuum tested. Must pull a minimum of 14” of vacuum at idle with a max rpm being 1000 rpm MANDATORY. At idle means the car will be in park when tested.
ii. All Cars must have a tach in working condition.
10. Stock appearing Oil Pan
11. Balancer—Stock only but may be replaced with OEM
12. Stock Distributors ONLY. Stock coil/module in stock location only.
13. Stock Rocker Arms. No roller tips.
G. BATTERIES may be moved to any reasonable position in the car, but they must be securely fastened and covered in a marine type battery box.
1. Carburetion is limited to 1 two-barrel Rochester carburetor. Maximum Venture opening is 1.250”.
2. CARBURETORS: must be stock mounted. NO drilling of carburetor or manifold. No altering to mount.
3. No 4-barrel intake manifolds.
4. Carb should be stock and unmodified. Note: Choke may be removed.
1. STOCK STEEL FLEXPLATE. NO ALUMINUM OR ANY OTHER TYPE.
2. Transmission: Stock Automatic Transmission ONLY.
i. No direct drives must have converter
ii. 12” Torque Converters Only. Must be fluid filled.
iii. Trans Cooler Allowed
1. Must look & work stock. Must be full bodied stock type gas shocks.
2. Racing springs can be used
3. Spindles must be stock.
4. All springs must be uniform and sit level with the ground. Cars must sit level (reasonable). No sway bars on rear. Stock appearing suspension only. Stock diameter on front sway bar; NO adjustable bolt; stock only.
5. Ride height. Checked with Go-No-Go gauge underneath center of engine cross member. No Go=No Race.
i. must be 5 inches under engine cross member
6. If you run a front sway bar links will be stock and same length
K. REAR ENDS/DIFFERENTIAL
1. Unaltered Stock rear end ONLY.
2. Stock Length trailing arms with Stock rubber bushings. No monoballs. No cutting or lengthening of trailing arms.
3. Welded gears or spools allowed.
4. NO 9” Housing unless stock from factory.
5. Aftermarket Axles permitted and recommended.
6. Driveshaft must be OEM steel and painted white.
L. ROLLCAGE: Full Interior Roll Cage MANDATORY
1. Roll cage bracing may not extend more than 6 inches beyond front and rear firewalls.
2. Must be welded to the frame
3. 1 ¾” .095 wall tubing or better must be used. 3/16” inspection hole must be drilled in main hoop, easily accessible, for inspection of roll bar thickness.
4. Roll Cage will be highly teched.
1. Stock steering column or made for racing steering shaft.
2. Removable racing steering wheel allowed
N. FUEL CELLS
1. Fuel Cells must be installed in trunk and above the floor.
2. Stock gas tank must be removed and replaced with fuel cells mandatory. Rollover valve required on vent tube. If you purchase new fuel cell make sure it has a rollover valve on vent tube. Must be secured with metal straps. No ratchet straps allowed.
3. Must be installed in center of trunk, i.e. no offset, and equipped with a steel firewall between driver and tank.
4. Fuel pumps mechanical only. No multi valve mechanical pumps. No electrical fuel pumps.
5. PUMP GASOLINE ONLY. No racing fuel. Fuel may be checked with gravity gauge.
6. Twelve (12) gallons maximum.
7. 3/8” steel fuel line, maximum size, from the fuel pump to the carb. This will be checked with a go-no-go gauge.
O. COOLING SYSTEM
1. Cooling system must remain in engine compartment. Aluminum radiators permissible. NO antifreeze.
2. Reinforcement support is allowed for radiator, ie kicker bar allowed. This is nothing more than to hold radiator in upright position.
3. Discharge from overflow tube must be pointed to the ground.
P. WHEELS & TIRES
1. Sycamore Speedway will have tires available to purchase for the Pure Stock Class.
i. NO WARRANTIES on these tires. No returns.
ii. No grooving or altering of tire. Grinding permissible.
2. 5/8” Wheel stud highly recommended
3. 1” Lug Nuts
4. White spoke or racing wheels allowed, 8-inch maximum width with 3” & 4” back space only.
5. No pipes welded over tire valve stems.
6. No mixing rim sizes.
7. The tires purchased from Sycamore Speedway are the only racing tires allowed.
8. NOTE: In the event the car (ex: Crown Vic) is unable to run a 15” wheel please contact, Sycamore Speedway via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
1. All 4 brakes must work.
2. No brake bias valves ALLOWED
3. Stock master cylinder ONLY
4. No shut offs or adjustable brakes of any kind
5. No rear disc brakes. As Rule A. 1 states all fuel injected cars must be approved by Sycamore Speedway.
IV. PAYOFF PURE STOCK CLASS ONLY
A. Eligibility – Must compete in 90% of races at Sycamore Speedway. No point money if you race at another track on a night that Sycamore Speedway is racing. $1000 will be used for a final point fund. All payouts & point fund payments are paid to car owner.
B. Points will follow driver & car meaning if you are driving more than one car in the same season you will have points as a driver for each car that you run. Before any payout will be paid the driver and/or car owner, whoever will be receiving the 1099 for the season, must complete a W9 and all payouts will be paid to that individual.
C. PURSE & POINTS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
Dash for Cash 1st place = $15 1 point
2nd place = $10 1 point
3rd place = $5 1 point
4th place = $0 1 point
5th place = $0 1 point
6th place = $0 1 point
Feature 1st place = $200 20 points
2nd place = $155 17 points
3rd place = $95 15 points
4th place = $85 13 points
5th place = $75 12 points
6th place = $65 11 points
7th place = $55 10 points
8th place = $45 9 points
9th place = $35 8 points
10th place = $25 7 points
11th place & below = $15 5 points
Heats will be used to determine your placement in the feature. There will be a redraw for top 2 of ea heat if there are 15 or less cars. Top 3 of ea heat will redraw if more than 16 cars. Same format as the Dirt Late Models
Trophy Dash will still be an inverted race, slowest to fastest with the top 6 qualifiers. The trophy dash must be ran in order to secure your starting spot for the heat.