2016 LATE MODEL RULES AND REGULATIONS
- COMPETING MODELS
- Open to any American 8-cylinder car with a stock wheelbase no less than 107 inches.
- No convertibles or compacts
- WEIGHT RULE
- Car must weigh a minimum of 3300lbs. with driver after the race.
- Weights up to 50 lbs must be securely fastened by 2 ½ inch, minimum grade 5 bolts with a minimum of 2 weight clamps. Threaded rods will not be permitted. All weights must be painted white and clearly labeled with the car number on it.
- Any weight(s) must be securely attached to the frame below the body decking.
- Any car that loses any weight/ballast during an event may be subject to a penalty. If you lose your weight and it’s not marked with your number, you do not get it back.
- Weights attached to the rear bumper and/or outside the frame will not be permitted.
- Pellet-type and/or liquid-type weight/ballast will not be permitted.
- Driver operated weight adjustment, ‘weight jacking’ devices will not be permitted.
- Body must be in original position on frame and cannot be altered and must sit level with frame. STEEL BODIES ONLY. Example: Stock Style Five Star Steel bodies. Stock style appearing fiberglass roof and hood are permissible.
- Front bracing must be behind factory nosepiece mandatory. MANDATORY Cable or chain exposed at front & rear of car for towing purposes.
- All bracing and reinforcing must be inside car. NO solid material used for bracing. All bracing above original floor.
- All reinforcement must be below trunk lid or hood and covered with stock bumper
- NO COCKPITS
- Any cutting of the hood for vents or radiators must be covered with sheet metal and painted same color as car.
- Hoods—Air scoops permissible (4” maximum height).
- Filler disk in steering wheel recommended (i.e. AFCO).
- Remove all glass and remove rear seat before coming to track.
- All doors must be securely fastened, either welded or chained.
- Exposed cable or chain on front of car for towing purposes.
- Screens are mandatory for windshield and must be mounted from A-Pillar to A-Pillar.
- ENGINE – No V6’s
- All engines must be stock appearing and in stock position. Rigid mounts are allowed. Engine in stock location only. NO aluminum heads. NO angle spark plug heads. Right front spark plug must be straight in line with right front upper ball joint; no tolerance. NO aluminum engines. Stock steel firewall is required but may be modified for engine clearance.
- Cylinder heads – any cast iron 23 degree straight plug allowed.
- Stock cast iron 2 barrel intake manifold mandatory.
- Oil cooler permissible and oil pans with increased capacities permissible.
- ENGINES & TRANSMISSIONS: May be interchanged with other makes such as a Chevy motor and trans in a Ford, etc. Engine must be mounted in original mounts or if altered, front spark plug must be in line with right front ball joint. Engine must be stock appearing.
- Carburetion is limited to 1 two-barrel Rochester carburetor. Maximum Venture opening is 1.250”.
- CARBURETORS: must be stock mounted. NO drilling of carburetor or manifold. No altering to mount.
- No 4-barrel intake manifolds.
- Ford and MoPar may use a carburetor adapter.
- Carb should be stock and unmodified. Note: Choke may be removed.
- FLYWHEEL, CLUTCH, TRANSMISSION, REAR AXLE ASSEMBLY
- STOCK STEEL STICK SHIFT FLYWHEEL ONLY. NO ALUMINUM OR ANY OTHER TYPE.
- Relocation of shifting mechanism is permissible. Any stock OEM transmission allowed. No five-speed transmission allowed. No in and out boxes. Stock type clutches only.
- If running automatic transmission must have liquid filled torque converter.
- Must have inspection cover for clutch and/or torque converter.
- Must have a scatter shield.
- No racing transmissions, automatic or manual OEM 3 or 4 speed only.
- Rear axle-only one set up; either leaf or coil spring.
- You may reinforce the right front wheel and A-frame. NO repositioning allowed of A-frame. Right front wheel may run increased camber. Fords may lengthen bottom of right front only A-frame. (1 1/2 inch maximum) General Motors may shorten top of right front A-frame 1 1/2 inch maximum. The above will be measured from stock ORIGINAL POSITION
- Spindles; STOCK TYPE ONLY, NO heavy duty.
- All springs must be uniform and sit level with the ground. Cars must sit level (reasonable). Five inch minimum frame clearance from center of front cross member to ground. No sway bars on rear. Stock appearing suspension only. Stock diameter on front sway bar; NO adjustable bolt; stock only.
- REAR SPRING – 4 maximum. 58 inches maximum length. BOTH SIDES-SAME SPRINGS. STOCK TYPE ONLY. No use of extra long leaf spring. Must be of stock length. Mounted in stock position.
- Screw jacks permissible.
- SHOCKS: Any stock appearing steel bodied shock with stock mounting allowed. NO helper spring type. Shocks must be same diameter all 4 corners. NO added shock mounts. Front may be moved as necessary for screw jack placement. NO adjustables. NO tampering with shocks.
- Spring and shock hangers must be in O.E.M. stock position and WILL BE MEASURED. Front shocks may be moved for screw jack placement.
- Leaf Spring—may have adjustable front mounts.
- REAR ENDS
- Stock type rear end or Ford 9” permitted.
- Must be stock style O.E.M. brackets. Must run O.E.M brake calipers. All brackets must be in O.E.M. mounting position. Stock control arms with factory rubber bushings (no monoballs), may be reinforced. Floater permissible
- All rear ends must be locked.
- FRAMES AND ROLLCAGE
- Roll bars must be installed. NO welding on threads or threaded joints allowed. All cars must have driver’s door protection. No galvanized pipe.
- All cars must have stock appearing steel floor pan installed in original position. Camaros may connect sub-frames.
- Wheelbase-107 inches minimum.
- No modifications or change in engineering of car whatsoever.
- Standard steering only. No steering assist or quickeners. Power steering recommended.
- FUEL CELLS
- Fuel cells mandatory. Rollover valve recommended on vent tube. If you purchase new fuel cell make sure it has a rollover valve on vent tube
- Must be installed in trunk and equipped with a steel firewall between driver and tank.
- Fuel lines running inside the car must have rubber coating.
- Fuel pumps mechanical only. No electrical fuel pumps.
- GASOLINE ONLY. Racing gasoline allowed.
- Twenty Five (25) gallons maximum.
- EXHAUST SYSTEM
- Headers permissible. Exhaust pipes must extend to the rear or left side only. Diameter of rear exhaust pipes can be no larger than exhaust pipe from manifold. No more than two exhaust pipes allowed on any car. NO 180-degree headers allowed.
- COOLING SYSTEM
- All radiators must fit under the hood. No antifreeze.
- Wheels 15” steel only. Max. rim width 8”. One-inch pipe permitted over valve stem. No spacers unless approved by tech.
- Racing studs and nuts recommended
- Racing wheel optional. All wheels must be painted WHITE or FLUORESCENT OR CHROME COLORED.
- Steel rims and wheels recommended. Bead locks allowed on right rear only.
- BRAKES – Single stock brake master cylinder in stock location only. Disc brakes optional. NO brake balance systems. Front to Rear brake proportioning valve is permissible. No brake gauges.
- Tires must be purchased from Sycamore Speedway only. NO WARRANTIES.
- No grooving or altering of tire. Grinding permissible.
- THINGS NOT TO USE
- No high performance products of any type. No nerf bars, no traction control, lengthened spindles, heavy shocks, aluminum head and manifold, and MSD boxes,etc.
- PAYOFF LATE MODEL CLASS ONLY
- Eligibility – Must compete in 90% of races at Sycamore Speedway. No point money if you race at another track on a night that Sycamore Speedway is racing. $1500 will be used for a final point fund. All payouts & point fund payments are paid to car owner.
Points will follow driver & car meaning if you are driving more than one car in the same season you will have points as a driver for each car that you run. Before any payout will be paid the driver and/or car owner, whoever will be receiving the 1099 for the season, must complete a W9.
- If a Late Model Driver is champion for two consecutive years, he must move up to Super Late Model Class or take a season off.
- MUST meet point fund qualifications to be eligible for any points money. All final point money paid at end of season.
- POINTS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
|Time Trials||1 point for Fast Time (remember you must run the dash in order to get this point|
|Trophy Dash||1 point for who qualifies & starts the trophy dash|
|Heats & Semi Features||1st place = 3 points||Fast Heat||1st place = 4 points|
|2nd place = 2 points||2nd place = 3 points|
|3rd place = 1 point||3rd place = 2 points|
|4th place = 1 point|
|Feature||1st place = 14 points||8th place = 6 points|
|2nd place = 12 points||9th place = 5 points|
|3rd place = 11 points||10th place = 4 points|
|4th place = 10 points||11th place = 3 points|
|5th place = 9 points||12th place = 2 points|
|6th place = 8 points||13th place & below = 1 point|
|7th place = 7 points|