2014 LATE MODEL RULES AND REGULATIONS
1) COMPETING BODIES
- The general rules for the Sycamore Speedway apply to the Late Model Class also.
- Open to any American 8-cylinder car with a stock wheelbase no less than 107 inches. No convertibles or compacts.
- Remove all glass and remove rear seat before coming to track.
- Screens are mandatory for windshield and must be mounted from A-Pillar to A-Pillar.
B. All doors must be securely fastened, either welded or chained.
C. Fill disk in steering wheel is highly recommended.
- No modifications or change in engineering of car whatsoever.
- Wheelbase-107 inches minimum.
4) FRAMES AND ROLLCAGE
- All bracing and reinforcing must be inside car. NO solid material used for bracing. All bracing above original floor.
- All reinforcement must be below trunk lid or hood and covered with stock bumper.
- Roll bars must be installed. NO welding on threads or threaded joints allowed. All cars must have driver’s door protection. No galvanized pipe.
- Spring and shock hangers must be in O.E.M. stock position and WILL BE MEASURED. NO ADJUSTABLES.
- All cars must have stock appearing steel floor pan installed in original position. Camaros may connect sub-frames.
- You may reinforce the right front wheel and A-frame. NO repositioning allowed of A-frame. Right front wheel camber 12 degrees maximum. Fords may lengthen bottom of right front only A-frame. (1 1/2 inch maximum) General Motors may shorten top of right front A-frame 1 1/2 inch maximum. MoPar may tighten torsion bar moderately. The above will be measured from stock ORIGINAL POSITION.
- Spindles; STOCK TYPE ONLY, NO heavy duty.
- All springs must be uniform and sit level with the ground. Cars must sit level (reasonable). Five inch minimum frame clearance from center of front cross member to ground. No sway bars on rear. Stock appearing suspension only. Stock diameter on front sway bar; NO adjustable bolt; stock only.
- REAR SPRING – 4 maximum. 58 inches maximum length. BOTH SIDES-SAME SPRINGS. STOCK TYPE ONLY. No use of extra long leaf spring. Must be of stock length. Mounted in stock position. Rear axle-only one set up; either leaf or coil spring.
- Any stock appearing steel bodied shock mountable in standard (stock) mount allowed, but NO helper spring type. NO alteration of shocks or mounts allowed. Shocks must be same diameter all 4 corners. NO added shock mounts. NO adjustables. NO tampering with shocks. NO shock mounts welded to roll bar or bracing without special permission.
6) WHEELS AND TIRES
- Tires must be purchased from Sycamore Speedway only. NO WARRANTIES.
- Wheels 15” steel only. Max. rim width 8”. Racing wheel optional, beadlocks allowed on right rear only. One-inch pipe permitted over valve stem. Max. offset 3” – no spacers unless approved by tech. Painted light colors, i.e. no black or navy blue wheels.
- BRAKES – Single stock brake master cylinder in stock location only. Disc brakes optional. NO brake balance systems. This means NO ADJUSTABLE brake systems.
- Racing studs and nuts recommended.
- Carburetion is limited to 1 two-barrel Rochester carburetor. Maximum Venture opening is 1.250”.
- CARBURETORS: must be stock mounted. NO drilling of carburetor or manifold. No altering to mount.
- No 4-barrel intake manifolds.
- Ford and MoPar may use a carburetor adapter.
- Carb should be stock and unmodified. Note: Choke may be removed.
8) ENGINE – NO V-6’s
- All engines must be stock appearing and in stock position. Rigid mounts are allowed. Engine in stock location only. NO aluminum heads. NO angle spark plug heads. Right front spark plug must be straight in line with right front upper ball joint; no tolerance. NO aluminum engines. Stock steel firewall is required but may be modified for engine clearance.
- Stock cast iron block with visible casting numbers.
- Cylinder heads – any cast iron 23 degree straight plug allowed.
- Stock cast iron 2 barrel intake manifold mandatory.
- Oil cooler permissible and oil pans with increased capacities permissible. All radiators must fit under the hood. NO hood modifications. Any illegal cars will be prohibited from pit area.
- ENGINES & TRANSMISSIONS: May be interchanged with other makes such as a Chevy motor and trans in a Ford, etc. Engine must be mounted in original mounts or if altered, front spark plug must be in line with right front ball joint. Engine must be stock appearing. STOCK STEEL STICK SHIFT FLYWHEEL ONLY. NO ALUMINUM OR ANY OTHER TYPE.
- No racing transmissions, automatic or manual OEM 3 or 4 speed only.
- Relocation of shifting mechanism is permissible. Any stock OEM transmission allowed. No five-speed transmission allowed. No in and out boxes. Stock type clutches only.
- If running automatic transmission must have liquid filled torque converter.
- Must have inspection cover for clutch and/or torque converter.
- Must have a scatter shield.
10) EXHAUST SYSTEM
- Headers permissible. Exhaust pipes must extend to the rear or left side only. Diameter of rear exhaust pipes can be no larger than exhaust pipe from manifold. No more than two exhaust pipes allowed on any car. NO 180-degree headers allowed. Maximum diameter of exhaust pipes/collector is 2 1/2 inches. Muffler will be required if exceed 100 dcb at 100 feet.
11) REAR ENDS
A. Stock type rear end or Ford 9” permitted.
B. Must be stock style O.E.M. brackets. Must run O.E.M brake calipers. All brackets must be in O.E.M. mounting position. Stock control arms with factory rubber bushings (no monoballs), may be reinforced.
C. All rear ends must be locked.
D. No floaters.
12) FUEL CELLS
A. Fuel cells MANDATORY. Rollover valve recommended on vent tube. If purchase new fuel cell make sure it has rollover valve.
B. Must be installed in trunk and equipped with a steel firewall between driver and tank.
C. Fuel lines running inside car must have rubber coating.
D. Fuel pumps mechanical only. No electrical fuel pumps
E. GASOLINE ONLY. Racing gasoline allowed.
F. Twenty five (25) gallons maximum.
13) THINGS NOT TO USE
- Body must be in original position on frame and cannot be altered and must sit level with frame. STEEL O.E.M. BODIES ONLY.
- Front bracing must be behind factory nosepiece mandatory. MANDATORY Cable or chain exposed at front & rear of car for towing purposes.
- NO COCKPITS
C. Any cutting of the hood for vents or radiators must be covered with sheet metal and painted same color as car.
A. Air scoops permissible (2″ maximum height). Stock steel hood with no openings.
A. Standard steering only. No steering assist or quickeners. Power steering recommended.
17) METRIC CARS. There is no longer a separate section, all rules apply to all Late Model cars.
A. Minimum weight 3300lbs with driver after a race.
B. Weights up to 50 lbs must be securely fastened by 2 ½ inch, minimum grade 5 bolts with a minimum of 2 weight clamps. Threaded rods will not be permitted. All weights must be painted white and clearly labeled with the car number on it.
D. Any weight(s) must be securely attached to the frame below the body decking.
E. Any car that loses any weight/ballast during an event may be subject to a penalty. If you lose your weight and its not marked with your number, you do not get it back.
F. Weights attached to the rear bumper and/or outside the frame will not be permitted.
G. Pellet-type and/or liquid-type weight/ballast will not be permitted.
H. Driver operated weight adjustment, ‘weight jacking’ devices will not be permitted.
LATE MODEL POINT PAY-OFF ONLY
POINTS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
DRIVER & OWNER POINTS
TIME TRIALS 1 point for fast time (must run dash to get this point)
TROPHY DASH 1 point for who qualifies & starts the trophy dash
HEATS, SEMI FEATURES 1st = 3 points FAST HEAT 1st = 4 points
2nd = 2 points 2nd = 3 points
3rd = 1 point 3rd = 2 points
FEATURE 1st = 14 points 4th = 1 point
2nd = 12 points
3rd = 11 points
4th = 10 points
5th = 9 points
6th = 8 points
7th = 7 points
8th = 6 points
9th = 5 points
10th = 4 points
11th = 3 points
12th = 2 points
13th & below = 1 point
$1500 POINT FUND
ELIGIBILITY: All cars participating on 90% of 2014 events at Sycamore Speedway.
If a Late Model Driver is champion for two consecutive years, he must move up to Super Late Model Class. If a driver competes at another race track on a night when Sycamore Speedway is racing they forfeit all final payouts.